1. A coworker spelled my name “Suzan” today, and I cannot stop laughing about it. I mean, it was in an email to a client, so not totally ideal (somehow “Dr. Suzan Lastname” doesn’t carry quite the legitimacy as my actual name?), but I just couldn’t stop laughing. That’s not even a NAME! I just… how? I’m still cackling. So, you know, if you are worried about people messing up your kid’s name, take heart. People will screw up ANYTHING.
2. Eliza has been a complete sweetheart lately. Ok, that’s a lie, because she is two, but oh, she is the best. She is still obsessed with Winnie the Pooh, but maybe sliiightly less than a month ago. Sometimes she can leave Pooh Bear home, and not totally freak out. But she still needs at LEAST Pooh Bear and Pooh Ball for bed time.
3. Eliza’s interests have expanded to include Disney princesses, despite having seen parts of The Little Mermaid only two or three times, a month ago. She identifies this entire genre of films as “Movie,” as well as the princesses themselves. Her favorite characters are Sebastian and Max. Everyone else is just called Movie. I’m a little scared to let her watch more, not because I’m all that concerned with the princess thing, but because girlfriend is ENTHRALLED by the television. She will stand in front of it, gape mouthed, totally entranced. And she flips her lid when you turn it off or try to get her to pay attention to anything else. I think the house could burn down around her and she wouldn’t notice. That’s useful, actually, when the parental energy stores are low, but then it’s allllll she talks about for ages afterwards, so it’s just not worth it right now. (I’m totally trying to justify our LACK of screentime right here, because I don’t want to sound like a hippie dipwad, all “oh, OUR kids don’t watch TV” which is totally not how it is. IT’S NOT LIKE THAT!)
4. One more thing about princesses. Jonna has totally sold me on the princess/Disney thing, IF my kid decides that’s her bag – it can be fun! Watching my kid enjoy things is really amazing. I’m in. I’m not super psyched about the princess-as-role-model part, but I think a lot of that can go over their heads right now anyways. I do think they are shitty role models, but I don’t really care, right now, and I think my girls will have strong female role models in spades so I’m not that worried. That said, we are hoping we can get them hooked on Hayao Miyazaki movies instead (Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle, etc.) because they usually have bad ass female protagonists.
5. Hazel can sit up almost indefinitely without falling over now. She falls over like once a day, and.. well, it’s really funny when she does. You just hear a muted THUNK, and from my normal couch spot, all you can see are her little feeties waving around in the air. She usually keeps on nomming on her toys pretty happily, so I don’t feel too bad laughing.
6. Hazel is sleeping wonderfully about 30% of the time, acceptably well another 30%, and terrrrrible 40%. Actually, that’s not fair. She is sleeping really well, but when she wakes up and chatters to herself for an hour, I CANNOT sleep through it. I have some earplugs, but they hurt/irritate my ears, so I end up taking them out in my sleep. I have some delicate lady earplugs headed my way, so hopefully that will help. I’ve lost my last few weekends to a haze (hah) of night feedings and trying to catch up with naps and generally losing my mind.
7. I have done NONE holiday shopping, and it is stressing me OUT. Although, my brother did send me an email about some good gift ideas for him, after my post last week, so: win. Even better, he confirmed my general train of thought for gifts for him, so I can feel more assured about the things I come up with on my own. Overall, I’m chalking this up as the best possible outcome for talkin shit about your family on the internet.