1. My baby can walk. She’s been taking steps, all ‘look ma, no hands!’ for almost a month, but this past weekend? She is hustling across the whole room, arms out, wobbly, but walking. it is hilarious and heart breaking. She’s getting faster and more coordinated by the hour, and she is perceptibly taller and skinnier and just cut that shit out, baby. You are my baby!
2. Yeah, ok, fine, my baby is going to turn ONE in less than five weeks. Not cool, time! I think we are mostly ignoring her birthday, though. No party, as Kevin and I will be out of town on alternating weekends for all of October. I think we will just make her a cupcake and let her go to town, snap some pictures and call it good. I’d love to be the kind of mom that throws parties and has themes and invitations and a smash cake, but… I’m not. At all. And that’s just fine.
3. We got new next door neighbors and I am SO excited. They are approximately our age, with a six year old daughter. The woman and I talked easily about all manner of things for over half an hour when we dropped by some blueberry crumble bars (BE MY FRIEND!) and I’m so hopeful that we connect. It would be so wonderful to have a really great friend in close proximity. I am terrified I’m going to scare them off with my enthusiasm. At least I am too busy to totally humiliate myself by annoying them every day?
4. I have been in a funk lately. I think I’m on the way out, but we shall see. I’ve decided the funk is a result of a bunch of small things – not playing frisbee, work stress, not getting to take advantage of our proximity to outdoor adventures this summer, feeling behind at a bunch of life maintenance stuff – just a million stupid little things. I’m working on them, or at least identifying them. Before Eliza, I used to do monthly ‘intentions,’ just goals like ‘don’t eat candy’ or ‘don’t play with your phone in social situations.’ I miss doing that stuff – I think it made me pay a lot more attention to my actions, so I wasn’t just stuffing cookies in my mouth without even tasting them, or leaving the reusable grocery bags at home every single time. I’m going to get back to this.
5. I really want to do the next post in my vaccine series, or another toxicology post, but I haven’t had the spare time recently. Or maybe the motivation (see #4). I do have a short list of requested topics, though, so if there is something you’re interested in hearing about, let me know.
6. I finally got some duck eggs at the farmers market, to see if I am able to eat those without horking (I recently developed an allergy or sensitivity to chicken eggs, which is TRAGIC). I finally forced myself to eat one on Monday, when I could afford to spend the afternoon puking – and it went fine! No queasiness, nothing. I’ll probably try it another few times on the weekends before getting back to my two egg a day habit, but I’m excited at the prospect. Plus now I can continue reading Erica’s blog without tearing up at her food pictures. Runny yolks, I am coming for you!